Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Follow Laura as she makes her WBFF Diva Bikini debut!

Not Just Another Pretty Face


  


Being the first born of an extended immigrant family was never easy. I had to take on many responsibilities at an early age.  I also had to be a good role model for my siblings.  These life challenges, though, made me the independent individual I am today.


Shortly, after graduating high school, I moved out on my own. My parents could not afford to pay my college tuition, so I had to work three part time jobs, in addition to attending Long Island University full time.   My schedule would consist of my morning job, classes,  my night shift, and finally I would bar tend on the weekends.  This is the time in my life I put on the most weight.    ' All nighters ' to study and then running to class and work left me with little or no time to prepare my own meals.  After graduation, I found one full time position as a clinical lab technologist, and was able to ditch all my other part time gigs.  With the extra time, I attempted to workout and eat healthier.  A few fad diets and trainers later, I was still overweight and could not understand why.  It was then that I started doing research on macros , clean eating and weight lifting.





One day, I ran across a familiar face on instagram. She had just one her pro card with WBFF and her transformation inspired me.  I attended a competition workshop held by Phoenyx Fitness and that was when I met the Elite Heat.  I then decided I wanted to do something for myself and compete.  I had already tried everything and felt this was my last chance.



I distanced myself from family, friends and food as I knew it.  I set sail on my journey towards better health with the WBFF show as my goal. I cannot lie! It was not easy.  I was still working and going to school, this time for my masters. I knew how badly I wanted this, so I cut the excuses and made the time.  I was fortunate enough to have an amazing man by my side.  He would push me to my limits and helped me every step of the way. He is my rock and my number one supporter!







My goal was never to win, but simply to fit in on stage.  To me, my progress was the prize, and that prize is one only I could win.  Since then, I have lost nearly 30 pounds, and have overcome my tachycardia.  With every week, I saw a change and I loved it.




I slowly regained my confidence and control of my body.  My relationships are stronger with those who understood and supported my journey.  Today, I am the happiest and healthiest I have ever been. As they say, eat clean and train dirty. STRONG is the new SKINNY!

1 comment:

  1. Same here - goal first time round is to look like I fit in on that stage.

    ReplyDelete