Sunday, April 5, 2015

Follow Alice as she makes her WBFF Diva Bikini DEBUT!





Looking back at my fitness journey, it is amazing how I have evolved and grown! Not only physically, but mentally and spiritually.  I put on some mass, and sculpted my body with muscle.  At the same time, I have challenged myself mentally, in the discipline of pushing myself to train, to not make excuses, to push beyond the fatigue, and the pain.  And, more importantly, I have found peave and joy in a sport and to live this wonderful lifestyle with the love and support of my team, the Elite Heat- I am truly grateful.

Growing up, I was not very fitness-minded.  I was naturally thin and never had problems with weight gain. Therefore, I never paid much attention to proper nutrition or food. Then in my late teens and twenties, I modeled professionally with FORD and Wilhelmina in NYC, so I would rely on doing cardio to make sure I maintained my slender figure.  Doing cardio was the only exercise I knew and did not feel intimidated by it.  It was self explanatory, and I equated me sweating to having an 'effective' workout.

Fast forward to fall of last year, I came to the realization that despite my efforts at working out at Soul Cycle, 3-4 times a week, and using Beachbody home workout dvds (CLX and 21 Day Fix)I was at an unfortunate plateau.  I was watching my food portions, making my own meals, ate 'clean', no alcohol, and exercised 6 days a week.  With all my time, effort, and money, I thought I should be seeing more results.  However, I was not seeing physical changes for over 3 months.  I was at a dead end and unsure of how to break through.

That was when I realized that I needed professional help.  While general exercise dvd's were convenient, I wanted a professional who could look at my body, my health history, and tell me what I can do to reach my fitness goals. I realized that generalized plans were no longer effective for me.

So, as any Generation Y would do, I turned to my trusty Google for my research. I came across a Wall Street Journal article by a reporter who embarked on a fitness competitor journey with the help of personal trainer, Malenna Saunders. I was intrigued! So, I reached out to Malenna and we had a conference call.  I was impressed with how Malenna paid attention to what I was saying, and really listened to my goals. She had a genuine interest in helping me. I clicked with her authenticity so I knew I had to train with her.

On Sept 11, 2014, I began my fitness journey as Malenna's private client.  Our goal was to be focused on strength training and stop the cardio for the time being. Malenna took me to the gym and showed me hot to workout with proper form. My first time with her at the gym, I was very intimidated, as most women were.  I felt awkward and shy there.  The gym to me was always a place where muscular men worked out and I never felt I fit in.  Thanks to Malenna, I overcame my fear and now I am a proud gym rat and the gym is a happy place!



After 30 days, I was BLOWN AWAY by the major changes in my physique, even though I weighted exactly the same on the scale! I used to be afraid of lifting. I thought I would turn into the Hulk if I lifted weights, or that weights made women bulky..I was SO WRONG!  Then, 2 months later, I told Malenna I wanted to compete! I never thought I would be competing at 31 and with a full time job as an attorney.  But the more I got involved in strength training, the more RESPECT I had for this amazing sport and the dedication it took to reach a competitive stage. I wanted a goal for myself and I wanted to crush it!





I also learned to appreciate small progress, gained patience and the importance of working EVERY BODY PART.  Our bodies are a total pacakge and we need to train every part to be balanced. I loved looking at this progress photo of my side profile where my back looks curved but I was standing the exact same way. Just shows how working all the parts of your body can sculpt your shape.






I am 5 days away from stepping on the WBFF stage with Fitness Atlantic and I am a mix of emotions; excited, nervous, happy and confident!  I am happy knowing that I have given my 100% in this journey.  I am confident in knowing my coach Malenna, Sheri, Daphne and my Elite Heat sisters are the best in the industry and have given me the tools to present my BEST self!  I could not have done it without my Elite Heat family, and my April Inferno teammates.  I LOVE YOU GIRLS!  To be surrounded by a family of genuine, like minded and positive athletes is truly a blessing!





Now, I am ready to represent The ELITE HEAT, and BRING IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment