Monday, April 6, 2015

Follow Gehan as she makes her WBFF Diva Bikini DEBUT!!!

My journey started some time ago, when my doctor recommended that I lose weight. Being 5'1" and weighing in at 160lbs, the recommendation was sensible. However, what prompted the weight loss was the diagnosis of ulcerative colitis, which is an autoimmune disease in which bleeding ulcers form in the large intestines.  Symptoms include bleeding, bloating, and pain triggered by certain foods and stressors.



I met Malenna when I first joined the gym, and my journey of attaining a new healthier life began.  I went from 160lbs to 142lbs. I was excited of my initial weight loss, but hit a plateau.  I then saw posters for women interested in competing. Competition never crossed my mind...let me repeat that. NEVER CROSSED MY MIND!!!  I told Malenna my body wasn't made for competing. lol.   However, Malenna asked if I wanted to attend the workshop.  I agreed more so to support her than any interest in competing.

Hearing some of the stories the competitors shared about their transformations inspired me to sign up for the program, initially just for weight loss.  I then went from 142lbs to 124lbs, when my program ended in Nov 2014.  Mid November, Malenna asked if I signed up for the program again, I should think about competing.  Malenna is very honest. I knew that if she were suggesting competing, then this could be a real possibility for me.


Photo Credit SFX Photography

I sit here writing this, 4 days away from my first show, WBFF Fitness Atlantic.  As I reflect on my journey and all the hard work that has culminated to this moment, I am excited, scared...and craving chocolate.  But I can transform my body and mind with the obstacle of my autoimmune disease. I can really do what I want with the will and discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment