Monday, July 21, 2014

Follow Amy as she makes her WBFF Diva Bikini Debut

The Man behind the Motivation...





Growing up as the youngest with two older brothers, following in their footsteps seemed only natural.  So,  with my brothers followed sports and more sports. From as far back as I can remember, I was always active. My mom always joked that I could roller-skate, yes roller-skate, before I could even walk. I would play my father’s Motown record in the basement and skate around for hours. I played sports my entire life, from track, to cross country, recreational basketball and many years of soccer.


It was not until 10 years ago when I decided to purchase my first gym membership to get "fit." I was introduced to a trainer, Mark Haley, who was assigned to complete my fitness assessment.  My jaw dropped as soon as I was introduced to this very handsome man and the humiliation immediately set in as he began timing how many push-ups and sit-ups I could do in 1 minute. " Is this guy serious??", I thought, as I began sweating profusely in my Umbro shorts and soccer tee-shirt. Clearly, I was not in as good of shape as I thought I was, due to my results. Trust me when I say,  after that assessment my fitness apparel and gym appearance stepped up more than just a notch!! Now I had a new challenge to get in shape...NOPE! To date this guy Mark! Needless to say,  I was blessed to marry Mark in November of 2012. He has been so influential in my life of fitness and has been my biggest fan. It was not until our honeymoon when I said to him I would one day like to compete in a fitness show. 

God works in amazing ways because the January following my wedding, I stumbled across the Fitness Atlantic Facebook page where the Elite Heat team's competition preparation poster was advertised. I took myself completely out of my comfort zone and joined the team at an introductory meeting. The team was very warm and I was extremely impressed by the transformations the teammates had made as they prepared for their shows. It was very hard for me to commit to a show due to fear and what my family would think of this. From the second I mentioned it my husband and parents they were 100% supportive. They were a little unsure as to what exactly I was about to embark on, but so was I. It was not until my knees started buckling on stage at my first show as I posed in a cupcake costume that I officially was proud of myself. The mental challenge of prepping for a show cannot be explained in words.



Excitement and anxiety of the unknown is what has taken over me at this point as I prepare for my first WBFF show. Me stepping on stage is 100% a personal choice and for me not about placing, but about the challenge and feelings that are tied to setting a goal and achieving it!

 .

No comments:

Post a Comment