Sunday, November 3, 2013

Cary Barrett makes her WBFF debut

Love Conquers All


A year ago from this date, Cary was recovering from knee surgery.   During this time, she had promised herself that 2013 was going to be her best and healthiest year ever.   Perhaps it was the surgery or turning 30 years old that contributed to this major lifestyle change, but all she knew was that she was determined to recover as soon as possible, so she could lace  her sneakers back up,  rekindle her passion for running and sign up for a few local races.  ‘I just loved the energy at the races and the adrenaline rush.’
As disappointing as it was for her delay hitting the track, she became fascinated with strength training.
“It was as if my knee injury was a blessing in disguise, because I was able to develop a passion for lifting.  It had become my new outlet.  I remember walking into the gym with cane in hand, ready to work out.  I saw my body transforming.  Then I shared a secret with my husband, Dennis Barrett that I wanted to compete in a show. I recall that Christmas morning, he handed me my gift and when I had opened it, he had surprised me by signing me up for WBFF workshops.  I was overwhelmed with tears of happiness because it was the most amazing feeling to know I had his full support in perusing my dreams.  I could have not been anymore grateful for his kindness and support.”
By attending the WBFF workshops hosted by The Elite Heat, she met her amazing coach Malenna Saunders and the wonderful ladies of the team.  Every Saturday morning for the next 6 weeks she travelled into the city to practice posing, learn about nutrition and learned all the facts that go into competing.  Those 6 weeks turned nearly into a year now with the team.   Dennis drove her to the ferry and picked her up every weekend.   He also helped Cary food prep and even trained with her.  It was soon became their little secret that she was not ready to share with family or friends because not everyone was as supportive or understanding as Dennis in the beginning of her journey.


Later, Dennis shared that he too wanted to compete in his first show. 

“ I was so happy and excited for him that as soon as he told me I signed him up to compete in the male fitness model category as his birthday present.   He told me that I had inspired him, and I am so happy that I could do that because he makes me want to be a better person. “
Unfortunately a few days ago Dennis’ brother passed away unexpectedly.  This has been a devastating tragedy to the whole family.  Deciding to still compete was very questionable.
“I was not going to do the show without Dennis by my side and of course I would understand why he wouldn’t be able to compete.  However we decided that we would still compete together.  This competition is giving us a positive outlet to deal with this tragedy. “
For those that have competed before, they understand how time demanding it is from training, to food prep, to posing and dieting. Now they are past that point and digging really deep to get through each workout and avoid temptations that come along the way.
“These past few days have been physically, mentally and emotionally draining. However I know we have each other’s support to get through the next few days.  I look forward to our WBFF debut and being able to share the stage with my husband. He said that I was the one the inspired him the truth is that he inspires me with all his hard work and perseverance and better yet a good heart. “






Little do they know, they have both been an inspiration to us all.  The ladies of The Elite Heat send out their heartfelt condolences to both Dennis and Cary during this time. We love you both and understand the courage it takes just to step on that stage. Just know that we are behind you both especially during this time, as you take the stage with your love, in honor of a love lost.

2 comments: