Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Follow Karen as she prepares for her WBFF Diva Bikini debut

Against all odds....



About a year ago I was back stage at my third show frantically packing up my belongings so I can get out of the venue looking like I was perfectly okay with not having placed again. The truth was I felt so ridiculously broken and defeated I was consumed with self disappointment-feelings I identified the most when dealing with myself. I felt like I was running searching for the exit but before I could runaway I bumped into the overall bikini winner who was so gracious and kind to me throughout the entire competition -about a week later she went on to earn her pro card. She instantly became an inspiration to the kind of person I aspire to be because should have been off celebrating her big win along with her teammates' victories but instead she thought of someone else: walked me over to her coach and founder of Elite Heat, Malenna Saunders-and the rest is history.
Joining Elite Heat and not giving up on a new passion became bigger than finally experiencing a taste of victory by placing at my first 2013 show and FINALLY being able to claim the title as overall bikini winner recently.  An honor an accomplishment I feel proud to carry on as a Elite Heat tradition. These accomplishments significance is so much grander than the hardware because it was the story behind the scenes that has left a profound mark on who I am and what I have overcome.



Pursuing this sport has become bigger than just stepping on a stage and showcasing your physique and beautiful stage wear. It has become the catalyst that has made me own up to who I am, make peace with having been affected by the devastating affects of having an abusive and alcoholic father. Training for a show with the company and support of Elite Heat has evolved into deep friendships and connections that has served as an outlet I need in order to get up each day and face my facts square in the face: I can't change the deep wounds and irreversible damage caused by my father's addiction and abusive ways or how it affected my sister and our relationship. I can't change their decisions nor the past but I can make peace knowing if I can survive an extensive list of hardship and obstacles then I can finally dig deep to find the courage to take control of my life-end a vicious life long cycle of self destructive behavior and not falling into addiction. I am barely a few days away from stepping on to the WBFF stage for the very first time. Even though I have had the privilege of experiencing stepping on a stage I can't help but feel so many emotions all at once: excitement, nervousness, optimism, happiness...

I would be a complete liar if I said there aren't moments I become overwhelmed with self doubt but I've become better at telling my brain to "HUSH, ain't nobody got time for that". I've come too far to let myself get in the way of myself-and so as I prepare to finally make my WBFF debut I stand a little taller knowing I have found the inner strength I needed in order to break free from the past thanks to the immense support of my team-the amazing group led by a one of kind leader that enables each of us to be the best we can be in this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment