Friday, April 12, 2019

Follow Kelly as she makes her WBFF DIVA BIKINI Debut!

Time to get UNcomfortable....


" Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." Neale Donald Walsch

This is the year for me to do things “out of my comfort level” 

You see, I was always an athlete growing up even after graduating from school.  I played on many volleyball, softball and soccer recreational teams, just to keep me in that competitive mindset.  My weight or being in shape was never an issue.  Fast forward to careers, marriage, and kids... I think women tend to care for others more than they take care of themselves.  I personally, put myself on the backburner and didn’t focus so much on doing what’s right for me, in reference to my health. 

I was training for my first WBFF competition about 5 years ago until my son suffered from a TBI.  In that moment my world stopped because I had to attend to all his medical and educational needs.  I’m happy to report he’s doing a lot better now and felt it was time to push myself, out of my comfort level and try to start training for a fitness competition.  I attended the “Fitness Atlantic” show last year and knew at that time, I wanted to pursue this dream of mine.. to get up on stage.  The glitz and glamour and general comradery of all the competitors was contagious.  I thought what a perfect way to showcase all your hard work in the end.  “The Elite Heat Girls” stood out in that show and knew I needed to make contact with their coach to be a part of that energy.  I had made contact through “Bricks” and the rest was history. 

Early on in my training, I developed a knee injury.  I had a partial tear to my meniscus but pushed through that injury in order to meet my fitness goals.  The results took me a litle longer because a lot of my fitness workouts had to be modified, but that never stopped me.    I trained with purpose and conviction.  I had a long-term goal in mind and nothing was going to stop me.  Once I started to really see my body transform and “finally” see that scale move downwards, it gave me the extra motivation to continue when my family's schedule could have gotten in the way, like in years past.  I keep going and keep seeing more and more results and started to really feel great; probably the best I’ve felt in a while.    

It’s not being selfish, taking time for yourself.  I think some people have that wrong.  It’s important especially the older we get to really take care of your health and make sure it’s aligned properly.  Another thing I found I did during this prep was to keep my mind right.  I practiced mediation on a daily basis and found this really grounded me and gave me peace during times I felt things could have spiraled in another direction.  Prepping for a show in your late 40’s was a challenge to say the least.  I fit in workouts before and after work and even in between my son’s sports practice.  I look back at it now and wonder “how the heck” did I actually keep up with that schedule, as long as it did. 

I have found if you really want something bad enough, nothing will stop you.  I’ve started to take back my health and pushed it to another level and can’t wait to see what else is in store, because this is just the beginning.  I’ve been told many times during this year’s prep that I have inspired certain people to start working out again while, others have followed my journey just to support me which I have greatly appreciated.  Their words of encouragement and support have given me the drive especially, during those 430am workout wake up calls. 

I wanted to acknowledge the women on my team.  They are like-minded career-focused women, that I have the privilege to say, are my friends now.  It has been nice to be able to go through this prep and be able to vent to someone that will understand what we are going through because, let’s face it some people didn’t get why we were doing this show to begin with.  I want to thank each and every one of you and the support and laughs we have shared.  Remember, ladies we got this and always will!!! 

Finally, I wanted to acknowledge my kids.  They have seen me go through this prep and cheered me along every step of the way.   I’m proud of myself because of example I have given them of what hard work really looks like.  I have always shared that kind of advice with them in the past, but they have never seen from the beginning to end a true scenario of that playing out for them.  They know now that they can accomplish anything they put their mind to, as long as they have drive, motivation and conviction.

Wish me luck as I step on stage for the first time next weekend!  Anything is possible as long as you manifest it, it will happen….







No comments:

Post a Comment