Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Follow Nicole on her WBFF DIVA FIT MODEL Journey at Fitness Atlantic!


Second Time Around....





I've always loved fitness and staying active.  Sports teams, fitness classes, at home workouts - I've done it all.  I'm an eternal student and love the opportunity to learn a new skill, master it and continually improve.

About 5 years ago friend of mine started prepping for a fitness competition and encourage me to try.  I initially refused, as I didn't think it was for me.  She looked incredible!  After the show, she kept telling me the prep changed her life and made her adopt a happier, healthier lifestyle. Seeing her planted a seed and made me consider it, but I wasn't quite ready.  It wasn't until my daughter went off to college and I was an empty-nester did I really start thinking about it.  At the time, I was going through a lot of changes - a new job, an end of a relationship and health issues that turned into a 30 pound weight gain.  I wasn't happy with how I looked or felt, and didn't want to go into my 40s feeling miserable,overweight and overwhelmed.  I had taken a class with Malenna several years prior and stayed on her email list, so I signed up for her 16 week weight loss program in January 2018, which turned into prep for my first show (July 2018).  I loved the results of the 16 week program, and I wanted to push even harder, and see what I was capable of.  I had no idea what to expect, but I was ready to work and my last excuse was away at college :).


Prep was no joke.  Lots of hard work, commitment and HUGE changes.  The funny thing is, I liked it.  The discipline and regiment provided order and stability, which anchored and balanced me.  It was nice fitting back into my clothes and walking on the beach in a bikini and not scramble to put on a shirt or cover up.  It also had an unexpected side effect of making me more assertive and focused.  I was saying no, standing up for myself and removing toxic people and things from my space without apology or second guessing.  I had a limited window of time and I didn't want to waste it on things or people that did not serve me or make my life better.  When I stepped onstage in July, I felt and looked like a warrior.  

So why a second show?  I had to step back and really think about it.  Did I really want to put myself through that a second time in less than year?  At first I thought it was just post show blues, but it was more than that.  I've heard retired athletes talk about walking away from the game and "leaving it all out there".  As hard as I worked for the July show, I didn't believe I left it all on stage.  I still had more in me; it was a nagging feeling that I couldn't shake.  I just knew I didn't want to live with regret or what-ifs.  I'd rather say 'I'm glad I did' instead of 'I wish I did'.

I'm now a few days away from Fitness Atlantic and I can't wait.  This prep was much different than the first one; but then again, so I am I.  I feel stronger, more confident and READY.  I can't wait to leave it all on stage April 13th.

1 comment: